Saturday, March 26, 2005

 

Look, it's a working drum sander.

I got the drum sander stand stained and screwed in some shelf brackets on the inside. Last night I bolted the drum sander to the top and got it all set up and adjusted. This morning I assembled my new dust collector and got everything all hooked up and ready to go. I sanded two sets of sides, one cocobolo for the parlor guitar I'm working on, and a set of rosewood sides just because I wanted to keep using the thing. Works like a charm.


The Performax is a great machine, and it's very heavy, it's designation as a "benchtop" model betrays the quality and sturdiness of it. One poor aspect of it's design, though , is that the dust collection portcomes out over the exit side of the drum. So if the dust collection hose is unsupported, it will hit whatever you're sanding as it leaves the backside of the drum. So I whipped together a little plywood bracket so that the hose is supported and won't hit the work piece as it comes out. It would have been nice if there was some sort of attachment on the actual sander to hold the hose in place.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?