Saturday, October 15, 2005

 

Buildoff Bending Distaster

Did you ever hear the story about the lady that accidentally backed into an airplane's propeller? Disaster.

I noticed a big screwup that I did when I was bending one of these sides, and I didn't catch on until after I glued in the neck and tail blocks. One of my metal slats had a curious bend in it that I noticed after I pulled one of the sides out of the sidebender. I thought it was probably from me wrangling stuff around to get the side out after it was bent. Turns out that weird bend or crease in the metal slat was in the side I had bent, too.



Here's a view with a straight edge on it so you can sort of see what's happening.


If I had noticed this right away after I took it out of the bender, I would have used a new metal slat and put the side back in the sidebender and it probably would have turned out as brand as new. But I had just glued in the neck and tail blocks this afternoon. So I dug out my old hot-pipe bender and started working the sides trying to get that dip out of the side.



It turned out pretty well. It's not perfect, but the dip will be even less pronounced once I taper and profile the sides.



That's all for today.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?