Sunday, September 24, 2006

 

Wedgies and Chisels and Gramils

Lesson #1 about cutting the binding channel on your guitar:
Do not cut out the tail wedge until after you've cut the binding and purfling channels... Now that I've cut a wedge, I don't have the sides in place to act as a guide for cutting the binding. I'm still figuring out the best way to scribe a line, and chisel right up to it while keeping the edge of the channel sharp. So the wedge is quite a bit wider than originally intended. But I'm not afraid to post mistakes here, I'm still learning all this stuff.


On to the binding.

I'm using a tool called a gramil to scribe a line around the perimeter of the guitar to mark where I'll be cutting out for the binding and purfling around the edge. It has a little sharp blade and I can set it for the width of my binding. Most people do this with a router and a guide bearing, so this is sort of the antiquated way of doing it, but it's a skill I want to learn.

Here's a gramil, purchased from LMI.


And here I am scribing to mark the edge of the binding channel. I use a pulling motion as that seems to allow much better control than trying to push it through the wood. I start with a light cut and then go over it a few more times to deepen and define the mark.


And here's part of the upper bout. Up near the top where the neck will go on, I didn't make a deep enough mark, and I wasn't working with enough light, so I accidentally got a little tearout. Luckily, since this is my first attempt, I only cut the channel sized for the binding itself. The channel will actually be a little deeper along the side, and there will be a smaller stepped channel for the purfling on top, so it's okay if I don't get it perfect this go around.

Comments:
This is gunna be the bestest guitar evar.

Are you still taking part in that building contest from way back, or has that expired?
 
Last year's contest ended, while I was in the midst of 80 hour work weeks and so forth. I actually joined the next one, which began in August, because I like to waste money.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?